What to tell the SSA when working and getting SSD benefits

On Behalf of | Jun 28, 2018 | Social Security Disability

When a New Jersey resident is receiving Social Security disability benefits and tries to get back into the workforce, there are certain incentives they will receive, including a trial work period, an extended period of eligibility, expedited reinstatement if they are not able to continue working, a continuation of Medicare, and work expenses related to the disability. However, there are also important pieces of information that the person must give the Social Security Administration.

When getting Social Security disability while still working, circumstances might arise that the SSA must know about immediately. They include the person starting or stopping work; reporting for work and having the duties, hours or compensation change; and paying for certain expenses for work due to the disability. These changes can be reported in several ways – in person, via the mail or over the phone. Once it is reported, the SSA will give the person a receipt that they should retain.

With the trial work period, the person will have the opportunity to try and get back to work for at least nine months in a 60-month period. If the person stops working within that window, the SSD benefits will simply restart. The extended period of eligibility gives the person 36 months to work and get the benefits when they are not earning what is considered “substantial” wages. In 2018, for a person who is not blind, that is $1,180. For a blind person, it is $1,970. If, however, the person loses their job while using the 36-month extended period of eligibility, the SSA must be informed for the benefits to be reinstated. The reinstatement will take place, provided the person remains disabled.

The SSA must be told of any changes that occur when receiving benefits while trying to get back into the workforce. For those who are having issues because of a failure to inform the SSA of work changes or are unsure of how the entire process of working while disabled is handled, a law firm that is experienced in Social Security disability can provide guidance.

FindLaw Network