Inflammatory bowel disease is a classification of conditions that result in chronic inflammation of the digestive tract’s tissues. This includes ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. These conditions can result in extensive pain, diarrhea, fatigue, weight loss, and rectal bleeding, making living normal live painful and uncomfortable. On top of that, many individuals who suffer from inflammatory bowel disease find it impossible to work and earn the living wage that they need to get by and secure the treatment they need.
Are disability benefits available for victims of inflammatory bowel disease?
Yes. If you suffer from one of these conditions, then you might be able to recover Social Security disability benefits. However, before you’ll be awarded the benefits that you need, you’ll have to demonstrate that you meet certain qualifications, including the following:
- Your condition is documented by medical imaging, biopsy, or findings after an operation.
- On at least two occasions within the last six-months you’ve been hospitalized or undergone surgery for obstruction of certain parts of your small intestine or colon. These two events must be at least 60 days apart.
If you can’t demonstrate these characteristics of your condition, then you can also show that you suffer from at least two of a number of symptoms at the same time over a six-month period, including:
- Low serum albumin
- Documented abdominal pain that’s controlled by medication
- Perineal disease, if certain characteristics exist
- An involuntary weight loss of 10%
- The need for and utilization of supplemental nutrition provided through a gastronomy tube or venous catheter
Know how to develop your SSD claim
A successful disability claim can provide you with the financial relief that you need while you try to figure out how to treat and ultimately live with your medical condition. But while you’re dealing with your medical issues, it can be hard to think about taking legal action. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to better prepare yourself to enter this arena and maximize your chances of success.